It's a great way to automate tasks that would otherwise require manual work, helping you optimise your time and get more done. 🥳
(1) Example uses
🤖Each time an order with a value greater than X is cancelled, get a summary of the relevant details sent to you in Slack.
🤖When stock of a particular product is running low, set yourself or a teammate a task in Trello to top it up.
🤖If a user of your app submits a foreign-language support request, have it translated and emailed to you.
The possibilities to optimise are endless! Here's a general list of actions, to give you an idea:
- Send messages in Slack.
- Add users to Intercom, MailChimp etc.
- Add leads to Salesforce, Zoho, Hubspot, Pipedrive, Close.io etc.
- Create Asana, BaseCamp, Trello etc tasks.
- Create notes in Evernote.
- Create JIRA issues.
- Send an SMS.
- Send an email.
- And so many more!
(2) Getting started
- A Trevor.io account (free to set up).
- A Zapier.com account (free to set up)
- A saved Trevor 'Insight' (i.e. a query that returns the info you want to be included in your zap). More on this shortly.
Once the above is sorted:
Once selected, connect your Trevor account using your API key. To access this:
- Log into Trevor.io.
- Click on the datasource you wish to access.
- Open a Saved Query, click the share button, and select the Zapier tab.
- Click "Get API Key".
- Head back to Zapier and paste this into the box.
Zapier and Trevor are now connected and you're good to go! 👨🚀
(3) Triggering actions
You can trigger zaps using:
- New Insight results (i.e. triggers when your insight has new rows)
- Updated Insight results (i.e. triggers when your insight has new rows, or values in any of the existing rows have changed).
To create a new Insight, head to the Query Builder tab in Trevor.io.
A couple of examples
🤖Receive a Slack message with the details of new users: simply save an Insight that returns your users, and then select "New Insight results" in Zapier. Every time a new row is added, your zap will be triggered.
🤖Add a task to Asana when product stock is running low: save an Insight in Trevor that returns ONLY the specific products whose stock is running low (and nothing else), and then select "New Insight results" in Zapier. Your Insight may contain 0 results (if there are currently no products that are low in stock). When that changes, your zap will be triggered.
🤖Receive an email when a customer upgrades or downgrades: save an Insight in Trevor that returns the details of each customers' plan, and then select "New or Updated Insight results" in Zapier. Every time something changes, your zap will be triggered.
If you need help creating an Insight, speak with us. You can't beat one-on-one support, and our team is on standby to provide just that. 🥳
From our side, there are three restrictions that can affect your Zaps:
- Trigger frequency. Trevor will check for new or updated results every hour. This is currently the max frequency available. Note: shortly, we plan to increase the options available (to include every minute, every 10 minutes, and potentially several others).
- Row limits. If you're on our free plan, only the first 100 rows for each of your Insights will be used to trigger zaps.
- Query timeouts. Again, if you're on our free plan, queries run for up to one minute. If your queries take longer, then your zaps may not trigger.
On Zapier, you may need a paid account for certain zaps. You can learn more here.
(5) Potential issues
Here's a list of potential issues that could occur:
- You or a teammate updates a Zap's underlying Insight. If this happens, then your zap may stop running completely, or the results may differ from expected results (based on the change).
- The database gets disconnected. If this happens, your Zaps will immediately stop working.