It's a brilliant way to get summary snapshots of your data, or be alerted when things you care about happen.
- A new user signs up
- A new transactions occurs
- No new activity has happened in a while (oh no! Problem that needs checking?)
And anything else you can think!
(1) Getting started
- A Trevor.io account (free to set up).
- A Slack.com account (free to set up)
- A saved Trevor Query (i.e. a query that returns the info you want to be included in your Slack message).
Once the above is sorted:
- Head to your datasource.
- Create or open a Saved Query.
- Click the black Share button, in the top right (next to the Save Again button).
- From the left sidebar in the Share Modal, select Create Slack Alert.
- Choose a trigger i.e. when the alert should be sent (Not sure how these work? Scroll down for more info!)
- Choose a frequency i.e how often your alert should fire.
- Setting this integration up for the first time? Click the Add to Slack button and follow the simple instructions.
- Once back in Trevor, select a Slack Channel (i.e. where your alert will be sent).
- Now the fun part: compose your message. You can combine data and text to create a useful, context-specific message.
- Send the Send test message to Slack button to check everything's working.
- Click Save and Activate.
Bippity-boppity-boo! You'll receive a message in Slack each time your alert is triggered.
Note: You can toggle your alert on and off any time.
- New Insight results: triggers when your insight has new rows.
- Updated Insight results: triggers when your insight has new rows, or values in any of the existing rows have changed.
Here's a list of potential issues that could occur:
- You or a teammate updates a Slack alert's underlying Insight. If this happens, then your alert may stop running completely, or the results may differ from expected results (based on the change).
- The database gets disconnected. If this happens, your alerts will immediately stop working.
- Slack gets disconnected. If Trevor app is removed from your Slack account, your alert will automatically switched off.